Last month’s deals have been compiled and the stats are in: Goodlife’s August report shows that the Taiwan group-buying market grew 15% month-over-month, and Groupon’s market share fell .74%. The market leader’s drop represents the second consecutive month that it has lost ground in the market. The detailed market standings are as follows:
Some notable findings in the data:
- August represented the highest month-over-month growth this year. Since TO Global began recording the market in April, no other month has seen such high growth. The closest was June’s 12.4% growth. The high sales numbers likely stem from a combination of new deal packages and seasonal deals. Home-delivery (宅配) and group travel deals were once again on the rise in August, representing 16% and 11% of total deals, respectively. The other contributing factors were those of moon cake deals for the Mid-Autumn Festival and the in-season pomelos. Sixteen pomelo deals and nine moon cake deals, selling 27,167 total sets of cake, hit the market.
- Groupon continued its slide in market share, falling from 47.68% to 46.94%. In fact, in a month of explosive total sales, the market leader actually saw its revenue fall in August by 2.09 million NT (~$70k), which is surely a worrying sign for the company, who laid off employees in China during the same period.
- 17 life made huge strides in August, boosting their market share from 9.83% to 15.74%. The third place company is showing that it wants to be a credible threat to Groupon and Gomaji.
Taipei is still the top group-buying market, with the top regions are as follows:
- Taipei (35%)
- Taichung (11%)
- Kaohsiung (10%)
- Taoyuan (8%)
- Tainan (4%)
The top three deals:
- Groupon - No Limit beef hot pot, originally 860NT, discounted to 360NT. 12,000 deals sold for a total of 4.78 million NT (~$159k)
- Yam - An all you can eat hotpot or buffet choice at 海霸王, originally 1315 NT, discounted to 999NT. 4500 sold for a total of 4.49 million NT (~$149k)
- Jigou City - A cosmetic leg laser treatment package, originally 1,999 NT, discounted to 999NT. 4081 sold for a total of 4.07 million NT (~$135K)
Let’s see if Groupon’s slide continues into next month.